Explorations in libraryland and things bookish.


Saturday, September 12, 2015

New Saturdays @ the South

Here's this week's Saturdays @ the South post:

http://www.peabodylibrary.org/freeforall/?p=1637

I'll be adding more regular features soon, but I hope this feature is as enjoyable to read as it is to write!

Bonus materials:

Books that have the ability to vicariously take me places are some of my all-time favorite to read. My latest obsession, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell (both the book by Susanna Clarke and the BBC miniseries) immersed me so entirely into an England in which magic was real and altered the landscape, I'm still not 100% convinced that the Raven King isn't coming back.     

Aside from fiction books like JS&MN that have an enormously strong sense of place, I'm a big fan of travel memoirs. These are my "beach reading," my fun fluff and a great way to appease my wanderlust. Sadly, many of them got left out because many libraries don't seem to carry much of this genre, unless it is wildly popular (Eat, Pray Love; Under the Tuscan Sun, etc.) or has a high-demand backstory (i.e. it's from a famous author who writes other things). A most recently read favorite is Eating Viet Nam: Dispatches from a Blue Plastic Table by Graham Holliday. This book went down much easier than some of the dishes Holliday devoured in Viet Nam.

If you find that your library offers lots of travel memoirs, what are your population and collection management strategies like? Do you find them popular or are books like There's No Toilet Paper on the Road Less Traveled best kept on private bookshelves?

For some additional recommendations, feel free to peruse my "travel" shelf on Goodreads.
my travel shelf:
Al's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (travel shelf)

Here's a sampling of some favorites there:      

Al's bookshelf: travel

The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey
5 of 5 stars
Excellent book. Well balanced with a driving, compelling narrative. At times, genuinely thrilling and peppered with charming anecdotes. Would recommend to anyone who likes history, nature or a good adventure story.
Travels with Charley: In Search of America
5 of 5 stars
Amazing! Insightful, humorous and easy to read. Steinbeck has a way of capturing the essence of someone/something in only a few words.

goodreads.com

No comments:

Post a Comment